Learn about the benefits of hyaluronic acid for the face.
It has been proven that when the marketing managers of cosmetic brands verify that an ingredient that makes the products well received by the public , the managers of these brands make their researchers put them in the soup. It has happened with collagen, vitamin C, green tea...
One of them is the hyaluronic acid . However, far from being a substance invented by beauty brands and aesthetic medicine clinics to sell more creams and more treatments, this component is really essential for maintaining youthful skin.
Why is hyaluronic acid important?
Although by having the word "acid" in its name it may seem that this substance can damage the skin, hyaluronic acid is a powerful moisturizer capable of holding 1,000 times its weight in water. That means that it is fundamental in the hydration of the skin.
It is a transparent, lubricating substance with a gel-like texture that the body naturally produces collagen and water to retain to maintain moisture and provide elasticity and flexibility. Together with the production of collagen and ceramides, hyaluronic acid helps give a plump and healthy texture to our skin . It is, therefore, a filler and cushioning agent. The highest concentrations are found in the skin, inside the joints, inside the eye sockets, at the hair roots, and in other tissues.
For this reason, although where we usually hear about hyaluronic acid more often is in the cosmetics and aesthetics sector in general, its role is crucial for general health , not only in the case of humans but also in that of all mammals.
Hyaluronic acid and the passing of the years
As with most protective agents, Hyaluronic acid levels decrease with age . We are born with a large amount of these substances, which we regenerate very quickly, which is why babies' skin is so plump, soft and smooth, while over the years it loses volume, becomes detached and dries out, since we do not generate these substances at the same rate that we synthesize them. In the case of hyaluronic acid, the lack of it also causes pain in the joints (they do not lubricate well), dehydration in the hair, etc.
People with an average weight of 70 kg we contain approximately 15 grams of hyaluronic acid in the body , and of these, one third is broken down and synthesized every day. After forty years, the body begins to synthesize half of this substance daily.
Restore hyaluronic acid levels in the face
Hyaluronic acid levels in the face and the rest of the body can be restored in a number of ways. We mention three of them:
- Injection of the substance directly into the skin or into the eye sockets: It is the most effective treatment, since it allows the acid to be introduced into the skin in a localized way, being one of the injectable substances that the body tolerates better, since it does not feel as foreign. However, it is also the most aggressive, since it requires application with a hollow needle by an aesthetic doctor and anesthesia of the area, so it must be used in case of very marked wrinkles and marked loss of volume. and its periodicity should not be abused. In addition, it is also the most expensive option. It is also used in joints.
- Taking supplements by mouth: It is a way not so indicated to act on the skin of the face but rather for the regeneration of acid in joints, and to combat dry eyes.
- Direct application of the substance on the skin: It is the most widely used form of acid application, through moisturizing facial treatments. Despite not having the same plumping effects as injections, it has been proven that after 2, 4 and 8 weeks of treatment, the skin is significantly more hydrated than untreated skin, as well as thinner and more elastic, if treated with the complete range of products (cream, serum and lotion).
So… is it really effective?
Totally. Of course, it must be taken into account that the most effective way to provide these additional reserves of hyaluronic acid to the face to counteract the effects of age on the absorption of this substance is to combine topical use and, in specific problems, injection . In other words, the application of quality cosmetics with this ingredient is recommended to keep the skin healthy and beautiful and, occasionally, if necessary, apply injections to fill wrinkles effectively.
Choosing a good hyaluronic acid treatment for the face
On the market there are many facial products that contain hyaluronic acid, at very different prices. Here is a small guide on what can guide us when choosing a product.
- State and needs of our skin: The first thing to keep in mind is what state our skin is in. Not everyone has dehydration problems, it may be necessary to treat other problems beforehand, such as acne or blemishes. The best thing before starting a hyaluronic acid treatment is to carry out a facial diagnosis in a trusted beauty center, where a professional beautician will advise us on what treatment priorities to attribute to our skin.
- Active ingredients: hyaluronic acid is not the only effective ingredient against the effects of aging on the skin. There are also collagen, vitamins C and E or retinol, among others. Therefore, ideally in a hyaluronic acid cream for the face, it should have other effective active ingredients that provide good anti-aging results. The more active ingredients, the more complete the cream will be, and generally more expensive.
- Amount of hyaluronic acid: secondly, the product must contain enough hyaluronic acid concentrate, but it is not necessary for this to be excessive (1 g in 120 ml of cream is enough), since otherwise the acid can affect the rest of the active principles of the cream. This especially applies to people who buy hyaluronic acid separately and then add it to a facial product (cream, serum, etc.). In general, good cosmetic brands find the right proportions to enhance the effects of the cream.
- The molecular weight of the acid: The molecular weight of hyaluronic acid in the cream is something that many people do not pay attention to, but it is essential for topical use (on the skin) because the properties of this product depend on this variable. The higher the molecular weight, the more properties the acid has, but beware, when the molecular weight is high, the molecules do not all penetrate the skin, since they are too large to penetrate it. In this sense, it is important that the facial product contains a sufficient amount of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid (since a part will not penetrate the skin), and also a part of this low molecular weight substance (with less properties but that the skin will absorb more easily).
Apply products with hyaluronic acid to the face
- Moisturizing day cream: it is recommended to use it in the morning, with clean and dry skin, applying an amount similar to the size of a penny coin on your finger and distributing it in several points (one point on each cheekbone, one on the forehead and one on the chin , not forgetting the neck) and making firm movements up and to the sides, especially around the neckline and chin. Do not leave the product to absorb, you must continue massaging until it has been completely absorbed.
Don't forget sunscreen!
If the day cream does not have sun protection, it is essential to apply a protective cream at the end of the process. Good sun protection is the key to any facial routine.
Nourishing night cream: Night creams are usually much richer in active ingredients than day creams, since during the day we are not usually able to wear the cream on our face for a long time for it to take effect. On the other hand, at night, while we sleep, we can take the opportunity to apply richer creams that we will remove well the next day when we wash our face and dry it.
To apply the night cream, you must first remove make-up very well from the skin (even if we are not wearing make-up) and, if necessary, exfoliate it (cleansing and drying the skin well between each step). Then you have to apply a similar amount to the day cream on the same points of the face and spread it with firm movements upwards and to the sides. It is not necessary to insist as much so that it absorbs all the product as in the case of the day cream, since it will already be absorbed during the night.
the eye contour
Both in the morning and at night, if you are using an eye contour, you must apply it first, with soft movements. Never apply it on the mobile eyelid.
- Serum: Using a serum is one of the commandments of daily routines, along with "always, always remove make-up even if we don't wear make-up" and "always, always use creams that have sun protection." They have a much higher concentration of active ingredients than creams (up to 70% compared to approximately 15%) and a lighter texture, especially interesting for oily and sensitive skin. Applying the serum before the night cream is a way to enhance the effects of its active ingredients.
Facial products with hyaluronic acid Esthederm
One of the hyaluronic acid treatments with the best user reviews is the one offered by the Institut Esthederm brand.
Esthederm hyaluronic acid face products feature a proprietary combination of three forms of hyaluronic acid:
- High molecular weight hyaluronic acid
- Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid
In addition, they contain cellular water with mineral salts.
These products are especially indicated for skin with severe dehydration, as intensive treatments for a specific period of time, to give the skin a younger appearance. They are ideal, as the same brand explains, for complete the effectiveness of localized injections of hyaluronic acid , although they can also be used as a shock treatment after the cold of winter, or in other situations of water loss in the skin.
Intensive hyaluronic acid cream: It is a cream that can be used in the morning (prior to the application of a cream with sun protection) and at night before going to bed, alone or after applying the intensive hyaluronic acid serum. It is necessary to apply it as explained above for the day and night cream, on the face, neck and décolleté. The recommended minimum treatment to obtain the best results is two months.
The result of these treatments is more hydrated skin, with more volume and fuller expression lines and wrinkles.
Intensive hyaluronic acid mask: It is an ideal treatment to intensely hydrate the skin and stimulate the natural production of hyaluronic acid, with a high concentration of active ingredients. It can be used as a traditional mask, applying a thick layer to the face, neck and décolleté, leaving it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing or, if time is short (which is the most common), it can be used As a night cream, applying a thinner layer before going to sleep, after cleansing, drying and, if necessary, applying the serum, and removing it when getting up. Then you can apply the intensive cream with this same substance specified above and a sun cream for the day. Both in one case and the other, the application of two to three times a week is recommended.
The effect is immediate, skin with more volume and a healthy glow.
- Hyaluronic Intensive Serum or Gentle Serum: Among the wide range of Esthederm hyaluronic acid treatments are serums, both intensive and mild, rich in active ingredients and which, applied before creams, enhance their effectiveness. It is recommended to use them before the night cream since in the morning we do not usually have time to wait 15 minutes before applying the moisturizer, which is the recommended period of time for a better result.
The importance of a previous facial diagnosis
The ideal is to ask our beautician for advice, who will recommend which products to use according to our facial diagnosis. For example, it is usually better to start a hyaluronic acid treatment with a mild serum to ensure that our skin progressively tolerates this substance. Sometimes there are people who complain that this or that expensive cream has not worked for them, and in reality what happens is that they have applied it wrongly or that they have not chosen the correct one for their needs.
Links of interest:
- How to use hyaluronic acid for skin; your new ultra-moisturizer, Simone Digital
- New Favorite Skincare Ingredient: Hyaluronic Acid, Los Angeles Times
- Efficacy of a Novel Topical Nano-Hyaluronic Acid in Humans, The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology
- 5 benefits of adding a serum to your daily facial routine, Style Caster